Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Glimpse of Life in Joburg

Greetings from South Africa!
It's been 3 1/2 weeks since our team left for South Africa and I feel like I've learned more these past 3 weeks than I have in the past 3 years. I'll do my best to sum up a little of what's happened... Here's a small glimpse:


Team Fuego- my team for the month
Most of our first week was spent getting to know the teams that we're working with and I've learned so much from them about living in community, and truly living radically. In the past 6 months they've been doing ministry in:
India
Nepal
Romania
Moldova
Swaziland &
Mozambique

To be completely honest, when I first got to Johannesburg, I was a little disappointed that I wasn't going to be spending my month in the bush working with kids but I've really grown to love our ministry here and have been learning that God has us here for a purpose. I've been seeing that our view of "ministry" isn't always the same as His. 
     Johannesburg is a unique place. It is one of the biggest cities in Africa and has interesting dynamics since here, the 1st world meets the 3rd world. We've seen this reality as we've been spending a lot of time out in the city. We were initially told we would be working with campus outreach but since schedules were switched around, we've been partnering with the website www.forgood.co.za and helping them with networking. The first few days we were all having a hard time seeing how working with a website could be a ministry but it's opened up doors for us to meet so many passionate people, encourage them in what they are doing to impact their community and volunteer along side them. We've been going all around Johannesburg visiting churches and non-profit organizations in hopes that they will get connected with other churches and organizations to help bring Jesus to South Africa.


    So far, we've been able to go to a township and have a barbecue (or brie) with some of the families there, color with the children, and learn about life in the township.


     We've met with a man who helps provide after-school activities and counseling for the youth in the city in hopes to encourage them to work hard and take ownership of the successes that come from hard work. We visited with 2 American women who work for Oasis Haven, a children's home that partners with adoption agencies, and we were able to hear their heart for the orphaned and vulnerable children in South Africa. I was at this "meeting" with 2 other girls on my team and I think it was a conversation that we'll all remember forever. After Oasis Haven, we met with Vincent, a man who works for JAM (Joint Aid Management). JAM was started by a man who visited Mozambique during the civil war and decided to dedicate his life to helping people meet their basic needs. JAM partners with Jesus Alive Gospel Outreach and we met with them this morning. They go into rural areas of Africa and basically hold evangelistic meetings and provide discipleship materials in the dialect of the people group. 
     Monday was Mandela Day and a few of us went with JAM to hand out blankets while others partnered with a church to help clean and do other projects in the community.

     On the weekends, we've been able to find some fun activities in JoBurg. We went to go to a Lion Park where we were able to pet lion cubs and feed a giraffe. Last weekend was filled with shopping at the African Market and going to a Rugby game. During the evenings, we've filled our time with worship, "family" dinners, and conversations of what the Lord is doing in our hearts. 

KK and I at a Rugby Game
    I've loved my first 3 weeks here and have been challenged in ways I never expected. It has been so great seeing how God has prepared divine appointments and listening as He speaks to my heart in ways I've never experienced before. I'm sad to be going home next week but I am so excited to take what I've learned back to my life in MN. 

1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome, Linds! I love hearing about what God is doing through you in "JoBurg!" It sounds like you're getting to know so many people that have a passion for ministry and for the needy. What amazing connections! Thanks for posting this update! I can't wait to see you and hear about your experiences. Jealous that you attended a real African rugby game and also petted lions!

    ReplyDelete