Sunday, April 3, 2011

HE directs my path


Just over a year ago, I took a trip to South Africa to visit my dear friend and former roommate, Ellen Amdahl to visit her and see the ministry that she’s been involved in. When I left, all I could think about was the next time that I would be back there.
God’s been stirring in my heart over the past year and I knew that when an opportunity came for me to go back, I needed to take it. I knew I wanted to go to Uganda and work with orphans so I started doing my research and found just the organization for me. Around Christmas time, I was meeting with someone from Africa Inland Mission and was so sure that I would be going to Uganda with them this summer. Then I found out the dates of the trip…and it wouldn’t work out because of a wedding conflict.
So…. back to the drawing boards…
 I decided that maybe God didn’t want me to go to Africa or something, so I looked into going to Haiti and working with orphans there. Nothing worked out for Haiti either so I had to think of another plan. Then God gave me a gentle reminder, “Lindsey, is this for you or is this for me?” No wonder my plans had all been falling apart. So I gave it to the Lord and asked him to direct my plans.  
So to make an even longer story short, God took MY plans and is making them HIS…
In 86 days I’ll be leaving for the beginning of a 4 week trip to somewhere in Eastern Africa. I’ll be going with the organization Adventures in Missions, and the more I learn about their heart for ministry, the more excited I am to be a part of it. They desire to do ministry the ways that Jesus did- by first reaching “the least of these” before focusing on the rich or intellectuals. Three things that AIM is passionate about are: Orphans, Poverty and Human Trafficking- three things that God has been giving me a passion for. I’ll be on a team with 10 other girls and while we’re there, we’ll be meeting up with a team that is on The World Race. I’m not exactly sure what we’ll be doing while we’re there and I don’t even know exactly where we’ll be going yet, but that’s just another reason for me to give it all to the Lord and trust that He is ironing everything out.
I’ve already been seeing God work in a few ways. First, I found out that one of my teammates lives in MN, so close to me! We met at Caribou last week and she’s so sweet. She told me about a fundraiser she’s doing, selling bracelets through Threads of Hope and gave me some so I could be a part of it too. It’s been exciting seeing God work through people’s generosity as I raise support and I’m trusting that He will continue to provide.
Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. –Ephesians 3:20-21

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS!!! I am soooo excited for you - will you be able to blog while you are there? I would LOVE to see photos/hear the stories. Blessings upon blessings sweet girl :)

    ReplyDelete